Sunday 3 July 2011

Nyanyanyanyanyanyanynanyannyannyan~♪

Last week we had our friend Fran come over from England. 
The week started out with Desucon, which is the biggest Japan nerd convention in Norway. But before that I left my home and went to Oslo to meet with Cat and Fran.
Whenever a foreign friend comes to visit, us Oslo people feel the need to show them how big part of our culture café life is ^-^
I managed to pick a piece of the leaf off on our table plant, and then I felt bad about it. Unfortunately noone had glue, so we couldn't give it a permanent solution. Sorry, mr. Pot.
My dear friend, Cat, finding a new interesting way to wear a sweater :D

And this is Frans ribbons.
After two days of sewing, cutting labels and sticking them on, she was ready for Desucon. Cause we weren't just going there (honestly, I probably wouldn't have been there just for fun), we had all ordered artstands.








So the next day we were up very early to get ready to go. They opened for the crew at 8 in the morning. We almost made it :p
Cat and I tried to take a picture in the mirror.
That went well :p

Seriously, I hate this camera, can't wait to get my charger back!

So here are our stands. Cat and I are cheap enough to share one XD
But there's a theme! We're whitey and Blackey!

Lol, I completely disappear into the painting behind.
Since all our friends are so busy (ok, Jack was actually sick) we kind of all joined in on Frans stand when it was nesescary, but luckily most people at Desucon are very good at English!
And at the end of the day Julie came by to help out.

This was a picture I sold. I was up late the night before to finish all the damn butterflies, so I disn't have the chance to scan it. But I'm happy I sold it! I'm happy every time someone wants my stuff!
This is a little painting that I didn't sell. I honestly thought I'd sell alot more of the mini paintings, but I only sold two and then I gave one away to this really cute little girl who was all out of money. Her and her sister, who was also really adorable, were hanging around the stands the last day. They kept switching their cosplays, which was really confusing, even though they didn't really look anything alike XD
More Norwegian culture, people!!
The sandwich lunch pack! I actually cheated, you're not supposed to put two slices of bread together, but it just makes it that much easier to wrap.
The point is saving money and staying healthy!
This was probably the most impressive thing I saw on the first day. Giant light man!
Ofcourse there were lots of interesting looking people, Norwegian cosplayers are getting better and better. Ofcourse there is a huge gap between the really great ones and the ones just dressing up, but I'm impressed. And also, some people had made their own costumes for their own characters, which was cool!
One day I'm gonna make a cosplay worthy character! (Then I', probably gonna have to play it myself)

When we came out afterwards we turned the corner and there was the old gang from Blitz (that's the punkrock club we used to hang out at), playing croquet in the street XD
Actually this was an event we were invited to on Facebook a long time ago, but they kept changing the date, so I kind of just gave up on it.
Because of getting up early the next morning we couldn't stay and party, so we just chatted for a bit and then left for Cat and Jacks apartment again.





Cat and I on day two!


And lookit! Isn't it cute!
This was probably the most impressive thing I saw the second day, that I hadn't already seen the day before, ofcourse.
I'm not a huge fan of animé and manga, and not really of fantasy or sci-fi either, except for the odd series ofcourse, and here's my problem with Desucon.
Being in charge of such a huge convention is hard and even though there were some problems, I think they do a great job at that.
BUT they greatly favor the "old school" nerd business, like anime, manga and games, and exclude or downprioritize the new things like j-fashion and j-music, that's reqruiting a lot of new Japan-fans all over the world now!
The last time they had Versailles come over and it was a great live, all though it was hell for the people in charge. This year there was ZERO j-music on the programme, and as for j-fashion, there was ONE fashion show, placed at the shittiest time on the schedule. Half an hour after the doors opened. They weren't even finished letting people in yet. And they could have easily put one of the seminars they had two or three different spots for there, but no. They think that this isn't important, and that kind of pisses me off.
I was into manga at one point, then I stopped being into it and years later I started studying Japanese BECAUSE I LIKE VISUAL KEI (Ok, that was emberassing, but never the less true!). The reason why I wanted to go to Japan was not anime or manga, or cosplay or videogames.
And I know there are lots of lots of other people out there who are interested in these things, but not particularily in anime and manga. Where is the con for those people in Norway, if our "leading arrangers" don't want to include them?
Calm down now. This is fish that Fran made for us for supper, when we were exhausted after the second day.
Was soooo good! And sleep too was so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment